School Allergy Program
Allergy education for students is now an essential part of managing allergies in schools
For students, learning how to support their peers and recognising an allergic reaction is an important life-saving lesson.
The Food Allergy SMART Program helps students become allergy aware.
Suitable for Prep – Grade 3 or Grade 4 – 6
When you are trying to manage food allergies in schools, effective food allergy management starts with allergy education and not just the teachers.
The school allergy education program is curriculum aligned and designed to increase allergy awareness in schools. Helping students understand the seriousness of allergies and the importance of knowing the signs of anaphylaxis, along with ways they can support their friends. We’re never too young to look out for one another and we all want to be included and made to feel part of the school community.
Meet Thai & Rabbie
The Food Allergy Smart program introduces students to the importance of allergy awareness using the book characters Thai & Rabbie and has been designed especially for children. Schools can take part in three ways.
Primary schools can put the Food Allergy SMART Program in place by using our School Allergy Packs booking an Allergy Awareness Session or using our new Online Program to teach students about allergies and ways to become Food Allergy SMART.
What we cover
- What are food allergies?
- Symptoms of an allergic reaction
- Reinforce YOUR school policies
- Why washing hands after eating helps
- No sharing food or drinks at school
- The importance of an EpiPen
- How we can support our allergic friends at school
- What is anaphylaxis
- How to be Food Allergy Smart
- Discussion on other things people can be allergic too, it’s not just food
Helping schools and parents to work together in providing a safe environment for students with allergies that is practical and simple for everyone to implement.
It’s vital that every student knows how to recognise an allergic reaction and how to get help
SCHOOL ALLERGY PACK
A Fun, Interactive, Curriculum-Aligned Program
The School Allergy Pack is designed to support teachers in educating students about allergies using our interactive educational books, visual posters and activities.
Suitable for: Prep – Grade 3
The books portray food allergies in a non-threatening way, in simple language so young students can understand. We have a resource page for teachers with discussion points that they can print out and you are emailed classroom activities. This helps to reinforce teaching points and opens further discussion on food allergies and how it may relate to your school or classroom.
Each pack comes with our Australian curriculum-aligned Teachers Guide.
Each book has several Key Teaching Points
– A unique teaching resource for teachers to explain food allergies clearly for young children
– Providing allergy awareness in a non-threatening way.
– Continual support with certificates, discussion points and classroom activities. Providing teachers ongoing material for future students, keeping the Food Allergy Smart program running each year.
– Bright, visual aids to engage children.
The Program creates thought-provoking conversations, engaging stories and creates understanding and inclusion in schools.
To request a pack please click below link with School details and a pack will be sent out along with an invoice.
The School Allergy Pack, Curriculum-Aligned Program
The pack includes:
- Four educational children’s books – with teaching points
- Printable Discussion points for teachers
- 10 allergy awareness posters – visual posters for preps who are not yet reading
- Tips for parents – starting school sheet – emailed and hard copy to share with parents
- Parent guide on food allergies
- Certificates, activity sheets and handouts are emailed to your school
- Teachers Guide – Australian curriculum aligned
- Facts for your newsletter
Please note all schools will be invoiced or you can order from our shop
SCHOOL ALLERGY SESSIONS
Our allergy sessions are specifically designed to raise food allergy awareness in the classroom and encourage students to practice safe prevention strategies. Through our interactive SMART sessions, we help students become Food Allergy Smart.
Sessions are aimed at 2 age groups:
- 3-5 years – preschool and early learning centres
- Prep – Grade 3 – primary school
- Grade 4 – 6 – primary school
These sessions are always fun and create lots of discussions.
SCHOOL ONLINE ALLERGY PROGRAM
The Food Allergy SMART Program is the first Online Allergy Awareness Program for schools. The program is aimed at students in foundation to grade 3, however, it can be adapted to be used throughout all grades in primary school.
The allergy education program will provide students with basic knowledge about allergies and create allergy awareness among all students. It is split up into 6 modules which can be done all at once with four short interactive videos explaining:
- What is an allergy?
- We look at common allergens.
- The top 9 food allergens
- Ways to be Food Allergy SMART
- What is an allergic reaction?
- Introduction of an EpiPen
There are also extra activities teachers can use such as worksheets, craft and cooking ideas. Newsletter information and common questions asked.
Schools can be invoiced or you can order below –
Allergies are serious but learning about them can be FUN!
Benefits of the Food Allergy SMART Program
1 in 10 infants will be diagnosed with food allergy in Australia
- Reduces bullying as children are aware of the seriousness of allergies
- Normalises allergies
- Creates food allergy awareness and understanding
- Creates a safer environment
- Students learn how to recognise an allergic reaction and know how to get help
- Improves understanding of food allergies and anaphylaxis
- Life-threatening allergies are not confined to nuts
- Peers supporting friends
- Reduces social anxiety for allergic children
- Including all children – teaches inclusiveness and empathy
- Assists schools to meet their duty of care requirements
- Reduces chances of an allergic reaction by allergy awareness and minimising allergens within the classroom
- Brings the school community together and reduces bullying
REQUEST MORE INFORMATION ON OUR SCHOOL PACKS
LEAD THE WAY IN ALLERGY AWARENESS
What Teachers are Saying About the Program
‘Fantastic educational books that are easy to read’
Primary School Teacher
‘Thank you so much for visiting our school. I have had such wonderful compliments and praise from the staff regarding your presentation.’
Loved it!! She was really entertaining and the kids listened really well. She pitched it at the age level of the kids too!
Year 2 Teacher
It was fantastic, perfect for the age groups. The follow-up activities and certificate were great. 10/10!
Year 1 Teacher
Thanks Jackie for coming in and chatting to our little ones. From all accounts it was a very informative talk for the kids and they have continued the conversation into their classrooms.
The posters are now on the wall in first aid for all kids to see and talk about. It is a great way to raise awareness around allergies and anaphylaxis.
‘Great pictures and excellent level of language has been used’
Primary School Teacher
The school-setting is naturally a fitting environment for students to learn. Having Jackie come to teach our students on how to become a school-wide, Food Allergy SMART community is one of the most valuable education sessions our school has received on this topic, and I highly recommend it for all schools. This is a true investment. The content Jackie delivers is relevant, and as she has her own hands-on experience in managing food allergy as a parent, she is able to help students to learn about this topic in practical ways, all the while empowering every individual with a desire to grow and maintain an inclusive mindset. The result is that students are in touch with the real essence of how communities can safely and successfully handle both the physical AND social impacts surrounding food allergy, creating a safer and more harmonious school-wide community. Thanks for all your hard work, Jackie!
– Vick Koe, Melbourne – Parent 2018