Allergy awareness for children is now an essential part of managing
allergies in childcare
My Food Allergy Friends is proud to be leading the way in allergy awareness
and education and we are here to support you.
We work with hundreds of centres across Australia and are around to be leading the way in allergy awareness and education. Are aim for 2024 is to have centres sign up and offer allergy awareness to make a real impact on future generations.
How To Sign Up
- Fill in our request form to become a Food Allergy SMART Centre
- You will agree to follow certain guidelines to promote allergy awareness, hopefully, many of you will be doing a number of these already
- We will provide a Food Allergy SMART Badge showing that you are an Allergy SMART Centre for your website or social media.
Lead the way in allergy awareness
Create safe and inclusive environments for all
Approved Allergy SMART Centres
A Fun, Interactive, Curriculum-Aligned Program
Food Allergy SMART
Benefits of the Food Allergy SMART Program
1 in 10 infants will be diagnosed with food allergy in Australia
- Reduces bullying as children are aware of the seriousness of allergies
- Normalises allergies
- Creates food allergy awareness and understanding
- Creates a safer environment
- Children learn how to recognise an allergic reaction and know how to get help
- Improves understanding of food allergies and anaphylaxis
- Life-threatening allergies are not confined to nuts
- Peers supporting friends
- Reduces social anxiety for allergic children
- Including all children – teaches inclusiveness and empathy
- Assists ELC’s to meet their duty of care requirements
- Reduces chances of an allergic reaction by allergy awareness and minimising allergens within the classroom
- Brings the community together and reduces bullying
Allergies are serious but learning about them can be FUN!
REQUEST MORE INFORMATION ON becoming an Allergy SMART Centre
LEAD THE WAY IN ALLERGY AWARENESS
What Teachers are Saying About the Program
‘Fantastic educational books that are easy to read’
Primary School Teacher
‘Thank you so much for visiting our school. I have had such wonderful compliments and praise from the staff regarding your presentation.’
Loved it!! She was really entertaining and the kids listened really well. She pitched it at the age level of the kids too!
Year 2 Teacher
It was fantastic, perfect for the age groups. The follow-up activities and certificate were great. 10/10!
Year 1 Teacher
Thanks Jackie for coming in and chatting to our little ones. From all accounts it was a very informative talk for the kids and they have continued the conversation into their classrooms.
The posters are now on the wall in first aid for all kids to see and talk about. It is a great way to raise awareness around allergies and anaphylaxis.
‘Great pictures and excellent level of language has been used’
Primary School Teacher
The school-setting is naturally a fitting environment for students to learn. Having Jackie come to teach our students on how to become a school-wide, Food Allergy SMART community is one of the most valuable education sessions our school has received on this topic, and I highly recommend it for all schools. This is a true investment. The content Jackie delivers is relevant, and as she has her own hands-on experience in managing food allergy as a parent, she is able to help students to learn about this topic in practical ways, all the while empowering every individual with a desire to grow and maintain an inclusive mindset. The result is that students are in touch with the real essence of how communities can safely and successfully handle both the physical AND social impacts surrounding food allergy, creating a safer and more harmonious school-wide community. Thanks for all your hard work, Jackie!
– Vick Koe, Melbourne – Parent 2018