Allergy education for students is now an essential part of managing allergies in schools
For students, learning how to support their peers and recognising an allergic reaction
is an important life-saving lesson.
The Food Allergy SMART Program helps students become allergy aware.
Suitable for Prep – Grade 3
When you are trying to manage food allergies in schools, effective food allergy management starts with education and not just the teachers.
The school allergy program is curriculum aligned and designed to increase allergy awareness in schools. Helping students understand the seriousness of allergies and the importance of knowing the signs of anaphylaxis, along with ways they can support their friends. We’re never too young to look out for one another and we all want to be included and made to feel part of the school community.
Meet Thai & Rabbie
The Food Allergy Smart program introduces students to the importance of allergy awareness using the book characters Thai & Rabbie
and has been designed especially for children. Schools can take part in two ways.
Schools can put the Food Allergy SMART Program in place by using our School Allergy Packs or booking an Allergy Session to teach students about allergies and ways to become Food Allergy SMART.
What we cover
- What are food allergies?
- Symptoms of an allergic reaction
- Reinforce YOUR school policies
- Why washing hands after eating helps
- No sharing food or drinks at school
- The importance of an EpiPen
- How we can support our allergic friends at school
- What is anaphylaxis
- How to be Food Allergy Smart
- Discussion on other things people can be allergic too, it’s not just food
Helping schools and parents to work together in providing a safe environment for students with allergies that is practical and simple for everyone to implement.
School Allergy Pack
A Fun, Interactive, Curriculum-Aligned Program
The School Allergy Pack is designed to support teachers in educating students about allergies using our interactive educational books, visual posters and activities.
Suitable for: Prep – Grade 3
The books portray food allergies in a non-threatening way, in simple language so young students can understand. We have a resource page for teachers with discussion points that they can print out and you are emailed classroom activities. This helps to reinforce teaching points and opens further discussion on food allergies and how it may relate to your school or classroom.
Each pack comes with our Australian curriculum-aligned Teachers Guide.
Each book has several Key Teaching Points
– A unique teaching resource for teachers to explain food allergies clearly for young children
– Providing allergy awareness in a non-threatening way.
– Continual support with certificates, discussion points and classroom activities. Providing teachers ongoing
material for future students, keeping the Food Allergy Smart program running each year.
– Bright, visual aids to engage children.
The Program creates thought-provoking conversations, engaging stories and creates understanding and inclusion in schools.
To request a pack please click below link with School details and a pack will be sent out along with an invoice.
The School Allergy Pack, Curriculum-Aligned Program
The pack includes:
Four educational children’s books – with teaching points
Printable Discussion points for teachers
10 allergy awareness posters – visual posters for preps who are not yet reading
Tips for parents – starting school sheet – emailed and hard copy to share with parents
Parent guide on food allergies
Certificates, activity sheets and handouts are emailed to your school
Teachers Guide – Australian curriculum aligned
Facts for your newsletter
Please note all schools will be invoiced or you can order from our shop – Order Now
School Allergy Sessions
Our allergy sessions are specifically designed to raise food allergy awareness in the classroom and encourage students to practise safe prevention strategies. Through our interactive SMART sessions, we help students become Food Allergy Smart.
Sessions are aimed at 2 age groups:
- 3-5 years – preschool and early learning centres
- Prep – Grade 3 – primary school
These sessions are always fun and create lots of discussions.
Benefits of the Food Allergy SMART Program
1 in 10 infants will be diagnosed with food allergy in Australia
- Reduces bullying as children are aware of the seriousness of allergies
- Normalises allergies
- Creates food allergy awareness and understanding
- Creates a safer environment
- Students learn how to recognise an allergic reaction and know how to get help
- Improves understanding of food allergies and anaphylaxis
- Life-threatening allergies are not confined to nuts
- Peers supporting friends
- Reduces social anxiety for allergic children
- Including all children – teaches inclusiveness and empathy
- Assists schools to meet their duty of care requirements
- Reduces chances of an allergic reaction by allergy awareness and minimising allergens within the classroom
- Brings the school community together and reduces bullying
Request more information on Our School Packs
Lead the way in allergy awareness
What Teachers are Saying About the Program
‘Fantastic educational books that are easy to read’
Primary School Teacher
‘Thank you so much for visiting our school. I have had such wonderful compliments and praise from the staff regarding your presentation.’
‘Great pictures and excellent level of language has been used’
Primary School Teacher
The school-setting is naturally a fitting environment for students to learn. Having Jackie come to teach our students on how to become a school-wide, Food Allergy SMART community is one of the most valuable education sessions our school has received on this topic, and I highly recommend it for all schools. This is a true investment. The content Jackie delivers is relevant, and as she has her own hands-on experience in managing food allergy as a parent, she is able to help students to learn about this topic in practical ways, all the while empowering every individual with a desire to grow and maintain an inclusive mindset. The result is that students are in touch with the real essence of how communities can safely and successfully handle both the physical AND social impacts surrounding food allergy, creating a safer and more harmonious school-wide community. Thanks for all your hard work, Jackie!
– Vick Koe, Melbourne – Parent 2018